[c-nsp] ASR920 is a ticking timebomb (CSCvk35460)

James Jun james at towardex.com
Sun Jan 27 10:57:54 EST 2019

On Sun, Jan 27, 2019 at 07:58:17AM +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:

> But what would you replace it with? What else is out there?

To Nick's suggestion, we should probably start looking at Nokia.  I've seen Level3/CenturyLink using
SAS boxes at smaller data centers to aggregate 1GE customers.

Right now, our temporary stop gap so far was to use ASR9901-120G for new 1GE aggregations instead of 920s,
but again as said before, it is a huge box to install in both weight and power requirements; and in some
places, we had to re-use ASR920s from spare simply because the site is not able to accomodate the 9901.

Aside from the dimensions and power requirements, 9901 has been a pretty low-risk development from Cisco;
stability and SW features have been surprisingly rock solid for a new product (I guess it's just 48x1G
Powerglide (with ports rearranged to accomodate 2x100G) duct taped onto RSP880-LT with lighter fabric.
I suppose that explains the huge power draw.

9001 is no longer viable as it'll go EOS any day now.  MX80 too in this same bin.

> Juniper have binned that box.

MX104 too is going EOS/EOL?  May be it'll go when the new 'MX204-Lite' is out..