[c-nsp] Console connections

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Thu Jan 31 18:54:31 EST 2019

> On Jan 31, 2019, at 5:27 PM, Hunter Fuller <hf0002 at uah.edu> wrote:
>
> We are trying a somewhat-radical new strategy. For our newest rack, we
> bought a Raspberry Pi Model 3B. It has four USB ports, and into each port
> we plugged a dual-headed USB to RS232 adapter, for a total of 8 ports.
>
> So far, so good. The main benefits are ease of use (our team can use the
> same tools they use on their laptops) and cost (100-150 USD total for the
> setup I just mentioned).
>
> The gotchas are that it only has one inbuilt Ethernet port and it does not
> have built-in support for redundant power. But we are using this only for
> emergencies, and we access the site once every few months anyway, so we
> were willing to make that concession.

For software on that sort of setup, this is really great: https://www.conserver.com/

For a neater solution, these folks have all kinds of neat USB -> many serial port options:

http://usbserial.com/

Can’t say enough things about ConServer. The logging is awesome, multi-user is super-handy. It beats all of the software I’ve seen in proprietary terminal server hardware.

I bet you could also pick up something like Xylogics Annex III super cheap on Ebay too (if you don’t mind telnet instead of ssh!).

Charles