[c-nsp] DHCP per user features

Maile Halatuituia maile.halatuituia at tcc.to
Wed Mar 6 20:19:19 EST 2019

Hi Nathan
Really appreciate the documentations.
Many Thanks

From: Nathan Ward <cisco-nsp at daork.net>
Sent: Thursday, 7 March 2019 12:54 PM
To: Maile Halatuituia <maile.halatuituia at tcc.to>
Cc: Mike <mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com>; cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] DHCP per user features

Hi,

This is a very common deployment.

You have some questions you need to understand about your product/solution - some examples:
 - are you using IP pools on the BNG, or in the RADIUS server?
 - how will you identify users? Option 82 - if so Remote ID or Circuit ID? MAC?
 - what parameters do you want to push to your users?
 - do your users come in on a VLAN per subscriber, or are your users all on one VLAN?
(I don’t need answers to these, you’ll need these when reading the following links)

Typically, the RADIUS auth for DHCP uses whatever you set for the “username” - i.e. the Option 82 info, or whatever, and the password is static for all users. You trust that the username is correct - the customer can’t set it if it’s option 82 set by your access network, for example.

ISG is what you generally use to push policy etc. to subscribers as they arrive, with PPPoE as well. There’s a section on Option 82 and Option 60, start there:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/isg/configuration/xe-16/isg-xe-16-book.html

Here’s some high level slides to help:
https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/global/en_ca/assets/plus/assets/pdf/CiscoPlus-BKRISHNAN-TLE.pdf

You can do lots with DHCP and RADIUS too:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipaddr_dhcp/configuration/xe-16/dhcp-xe-16-book.html