[c-nsp] ASR920 and ASR9001 SPAN / Traffic Capture

Ivan Walker ivan at itpro.co.nz
Sun Mar 17 04:48:53 EDT 2019

ASR920:
Running 16.6.3.  Ideal outcome would be to have a SPAN session with a
source from a service instance (EFP) into a a PW (PW-SPAN).  This doesn't
seem to be supported.  Any known work arounds?  I did find
https://lists.gt.net/cisco/nsp/193632?page=last that suggested using a
loopback cable.  Not that elegant, burns up ports and it seems the local
span doesn't support EFPs as a source either - just entire physical ports.
Interestingly enough the command line seems to allow configuring EFP as a
source but doesn't actually work.....

monitor session 1 type local
 source service instance 4 GigabitEthernet0/0/0
 destination interface Gi0/0/11

Anyone put in a feature request for mirroring from an EFP or for PW-SPAN on
the ASR920?

ASR9001:
Running 6.2.3.  This platform does support PW-SPAN, but as far as I can
tell it is not possible to use PW-Ether interfaces (PWHE) as a source.  Any
known work around for this or has anyone raised a feature request for this?

Thanks

Ivan