[c-nsp] Cisco Nexus 3064

Colton Conor colton.conor at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 10:26:43 EDT 2019

For those of you that have used the Cisco Nexus 3064, what can you tell me
about this switch? The used market on eBay is flooded with these switches
at around $500 each which seems like a hell of a deal for a 48 port 10G
switch with 4 40G uplinks.

We don't have Cisco only Juniper experience, so I don't know much about
these switches. From what I can tell they are EOLed, but it looks like
Cisco is still producing software for them?

What confusing to me is it seems Cisco has like 6 different operating
systems, and this one runs the Nexus operating system which I know nothing
about. How dos it compare to Juniper?

We traditionally use something like a Juniper QFX5100 for this port count
and density. How does the Nexus 3064 compare to a QFX5100? A used QFX5100
goes fro around $3000, so for the same price I could buy 6 of these Nexus
3064's.

There are multiple models of the 3064, so please let me know if these are
any big gotchas to know about.

Does the Nexus 3064 support MPLS? VPLS? Routing using OSPF and BGP?