[c-nsp] Seamless MPLS interacting with flat LDP domains

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Thu May 2 08:14:24 EDT 2019

> Radu-Adrian FEURDEAN
> Sent: Thursday, May 2, 2019 10:34 AM
>
> On Wed, May 1, 2019, at 00:15, adamv0025 at netconsultings.com wrote:
>
> > Converting DC to standard MPLS network and all your problems are solved.
>
> Just talk about converting DC to MPLS and you will start having other kind
of
> problems.
> IMHO, if DCs didn't massively adopt MPLS is because lack of training and
what
> I call "end-user mentality".  In lots of cases you are dealing with people
that
> when you say "MPLS" they understand "site-to-site L3VPN using some magic
> technology" (that they don't understand).

Yeah that's exactly it, I'm against this "end-user mentality" on a daily
bases when talking about other "magical" stuff like MD-SAL or YANG.

> Others do understand some tiny
> bits but see it as a "carrier technology". And there's enough of them so
that
> manufacturers take their opinion in consideration. Result => VXLAN.

Though it's interesting that the same people who are afraid of the simple
bit which is the hop by hop transport are fine with the complex EVPN bit on
top :)
But I get it vendors nowadays assume the crowd's networking knowledge is
subpar hence these nicely pre-packaged click a button solutions for DC
deployments.

> Those being said, there are DCs that managed to go the MPLS way, but it
> looks more like an exception rater than the rule. Unfortunately.

We'll see what time brings.

adam