[c-nsp] new ASR9901 ios update problem

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Nov 6 03:23:56 EST 2019

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 06, 2019 at 08:16:23AM +0000, Erik Sundberg wrote:
> I have hope that one day the Cisco gods will discover "apt update; apt upgrade" and all this sorcery that we need for an upgrade will become a thing of the past.

Even that is way too complicated and error-prone if you want to do
large upgrades.  Give me a "copy http://$image flash:" any day...

It's not even overly hard to do that with a proper filesystem underneath
*and* per-component upgrades - mount the image read-only, mount a read-write
section of the flash on top of it (overlay), install all the hotfixes to
the overlay, and if the underlay is upgraded, wipe the overlay at the
next reboot.  Done.

Yes, there are scenarios where this is not as flexible as what XR offers
today... but hey, I trade a bit of flexibility against extensive nightmares
every day.

gert