[c-nsp] Cisco 4000 series (4461) as a BGP router?

James Jun james at towardex.com
Wed Nov 6 09:46:05 EST 2019

On Wed, Nov 06, 2019 at 01:45:55PM -0000, adamv0025 at netconsultings.com wrote:
> I find that the 9901 being entry level is quite high.  There is the 120Gbps license but the device itself is quite heavy and large and the power consumption more than the 9001.  I think the success of the ASR920 shows that small size and low power usage are highly valued.

Agreed.  This is our biggest gripe also.  At least we've found that power consumption in practice is not as bad as datasheet says (practical usage in most scenario seems to be between 450 to 600 W), but it is also DEEP as if it is some data center box (I guess it is..).  Field guys used to working in telco environments hate it (where as 9001 was more in line with traditional telco style field deployment).

Other than the big footprint requirement, definitely loving the ASR9901s so far out in the field.  It's quite a big hammer, but so far has been a very stable workhorse.

> NCS540 is your XR answer then, as a successor of ASR920, but it's Broadcom inside.
> Alternatively MX204.

NCS540 definitely ain't it for us.  Oh and with NCS 540, you are required to buy subscription license to deploy the box -- last I checked, there is no option to deploy NCS 540 with a perpetual license.  Not a big fan of recurring subscription schemes for access network elements, so that's another reason NCS540 will never see the light of day in our setup.

James