[c-nsp] Cisco 4000 series (4461) as a BGP router?

Patrick M. Hausen hausen at punkt.de
Mon Oct 28 04:30:43 EDT 2019

Hi all,

> Am 27.10.2019 um 01:36 schrieb Łukasz Bromirski <lukasz at bromirski.net>:
>
>> On 23 Oct 2019, at 13:50, Patrick M. Hausen <hausen at punkt.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> would you recommend the 4461 to run a handful of
>> full feeds for v4 and v6? The model seems to be quite
>> affordable compared to ASR 9000 series routers and
>> throughput is not our main concern for upstream.
>
> It will do fine. Memory and performance shouldn’t be an issue until you
> reach around 7Gbps (with BOOST license, if you’re not running virtual
> containers).
>
> If that’s not enough, consider ASR 1001X/1001HX.

Our supplier recommended refurbished 9001 or 9006 to get the best
bang for the buck. Would you agree with that?

Could someone kindly clue me in about the 32bit vs 64bit platform
„issue“ if there is one? I would not want to invest into a platform
with EOL already on the horizon. Those 6500 have been running way
too long.

Pointers of course welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH			Internet - Dienstleistungen - Beratung
Kaiserallee 13a			Tel.: 0721 9109-0 Fax: -100