[c-nsp] Cisco 4000 series (4461) as a BGP router?

James Jun james at towardex.com
Mon Oct 28 08:35:32 EDT 2019

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 09:30:43AM +0100, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:

> Our supplier recommended refurbished 9001 or 9006 to get the best
> bang for the buck. Would you agree with that?
>
> Could someone kindly clue me in about the 32bit vs 64bit platform
> ???issue??? if there is one? I would not want to invest into a platform
> with EOL already on the horizon. Those 6500 have been running way
> too long.

If this is a new deployment, don't bother with 9001, or 9006 with 32-bit kit components.

Both of these are going EOL.

If you need new entry level ASR9K at similar price points as 9001, talk to your account
team about ASR-9901-120G.  It's 64-bit and licensed to same capacity as fully loaded
9001 (120 Gbps).

Note however that compared to MX204, ASR9901 takes about double the power footprint, but
does provide different set of port configuration to MX204, which may or may not be useful
to you (24x 10GE + 2x 100GE vs. 8x 10GE + 3x 100GE useable).

9006 makes sense if you are upgrading an existing 32-bit installation to 64-bit compatible
cards, or if 10RU is really the only rack space you have available (and you don't mind the
lack of longevity to support denser line cards).  For new deployment, you'd really want
9906, but at this point, you're spending deep.  Definitely not 9001 pricing level.

James