[c-nsp] Cisco 4000 series (4461) as a BGP router?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Oct 28 11:21:27 EDT 2019

On 28/Oct/19 17:11, Gert Doering wrote:

> (now, fan speed might not be *that* interesting, but
> "noise level" certainly is).

You make my point for me :-).

What you find boring, others might find interesting.

Remember the infamous "routerperformance.pdf" document that every
network engineer had to have back in the early 2000's? For the
uninitiated, here is a 2009 version of it:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/routing/cisco-router-performance/td-p/2715278?attachment-id=25450

You and I have been in the game long enough asking for this information
to be made available. Some vendors have tried (I dare say, Cisco does it
better than all of them), while others just don't get it. They all leave
a lot to be desired, but if they haven't been able to hack it since the
beginning, unlikely they will be doing that in a world dominated by IoT,
SD-WAN, SDN and Big Data :-).

> Actually Cisco is fairly good at documenting this (including rack depth,
> weight, etc.), though half the answers for XR are hidden in supportforum
> posts by Xander...

For me, Cisco do this best of everyone, agreed. But if they still can't
hack it, know which battles to pick.

There's a reason they give their SE's and AM's plenty of lunch + beer
budgets :-).

Mark.