[c-nsp] Cisco 4000 series (4461) as a BGP router?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Oct 29 06:07:24 EDT 2019

On Tue, 29 Oct 2019 at 11:25, <adamv0025 at netconsultings.com> wrote:

> To the OP's question,
> Since you don't need throughput maybe vMX/cRDP or vXR 9000 with just couple
> of gig of licenses would be an option?
> That way you'll get all the internet proven BGP stack offered by the big
> boxes for fraction of the price tailored to your BW needs.
> But yes there's the who manages the server part unfortunately...

I'm my experience, in most network outfits the OPEX for compute infra
will eat alive the CAPEX delta of real routers. So you get inferior
performance, you eat compute resources and you pay more. As a very
large generalisation, I think these solutions are better for compute
shop doing networking than network shop doing compute.

XEON is very expensive NPU.

--
  ++ytti