[c-nsp] EVPN/VXLAN on ASR9001 - BGP announcements not working

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Apr 29 11:21:44 EDT 2020

Hi,

remember me...?  Fighting with this "simple task" since quite a few weeks...

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 11:52:03AM +0200, Gert Doering wrote:
> I'm trying to make EVPN via VXLAN encapsulation work between two ASR9001
> (with the goal of eventually making it work between ASR9001 and Arista
> boxes, but right now I'm failing ASR9001 <-> ASR9001 already).

... so, whatever I did, it wouldn't work.  Unicast packets actually do
work (provided the B end is not using ESIs, in that case I can see them
in the "show evpn evi mac" table, but never in the hardware table), but
most prominently, flooding never worked in the

  local AC --> VXLAN peers

direction (while everything in BGP and EVPN and etc. was displaying the
expected results).

So, long story short, TAC time.  XR TAC engineer (very competent) did
not bother much with looking at my RDs and ESIs and what not, but looked
at NPU packet drops instead - and lo and behold, packet drops in the
"RSV_DROP_IPM4_ING_RTE_DROP" category, which could be identified as
"yes, these are the ARP packets that are not flooded".

After some more research, this is what came back today...

  "... Typhoon supports VXLAN EVPN features that were introduced up to
   6.2.2.   Features that were introduced after 6.3.1 are not supported.
   Ingress-replication bgp is not supported in Typhoon LCs"

Which is slightly annoying, given that this seems to be not documented
anywhere AND that the ASR9001 is still not EOLed (as far as my google
fu can find)...

But anyway.  In case someone stumbles across this thread in the archives -
it's not implemented and not expected to work.

gert