[c-nsp] ospf auto-cost reference-bandwidth on modern gigabit networks

Robert Raszuk robert at raszuk.net
Thu Apr 30 05:31:08 EDT 2020

> I just don't think the topologies are realistic for BW based.

Very true.

It is like GPS putting all cars on the big and congested highway when you
have a totally empty asphalt side road next to it :)

The BW based IGP metric mapping comes from times of F/R, 64 kbps satellite
uplinks and zyxel DTE/DCE V.35 devices.

The problem here is that you are all correct in a sense :) The fundamental
issue is that routing protocols today just don't know how to create stable
routing topologies based on dynamic metrics (of any sort). And this is the
same for IGPs or BGP too.

Good news however is that overlays come to the rescue and if you really
care you can assure your customers packet get best end to end service. Sure
a lot of space for improvement there as well, but at least we are at good
start.

Thx,
R.