[c-nsp] ospf auto-cost reference-bandwidth on modern gigabit networks

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Apr 30 05:57:25 EDT 2020

On 30/Apr/20 11:31, Robert Raszuk wrote:

> The problem here is that you are all correct in a sense :) The fundamental
> issue is that routing protocols today just don't know how to create stable
> routing topologies based on dynamic metrics (of any sort). And this is the
> same for IGPs or BGP too.

I just don't see that, in our implementation.

I agree that bandwidth-only metrics aren't sufficient. But combining
that with device functions and latency, really works. Has for us.

> Good news however is that overlays come to the rescue and if you really
> care you can assure your customers packet get best end to end service. Sure
> a lot of space for improvement there as well, but at least we are at good
> start.

We run away from RSVP years ago :-). Our model + simple LDP has worked
very well. Fair point, we are in a position to have the kind of capacity
we need on any segment, which goes a long way to realizing this.

Mark.