[c-nsp] VxLAN EVPN decision

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Thu Apr 30 11:02:06 EDT 2020

> Satish Patel
> Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 8:10 PM
> To: Cisco Network Service Providers <cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net>
> Subject: [c-nsp] VxLAN EVPN decision
>
> Folks,
>
> when someone should decide to go with VxLAN EVPN base clos design or
> Tier 3 (core/dist/access) design? what criteria decide which design would
be
> best fix?
>
> Following criteria in my mind.
> 1. North/South  Vs east-west traffic
> 2. BUM suppression ( Classic design doesn't help here) 3. If you hate STP
(but
> vPC is exception) 4. scale (STP has limitation because of large L2) 5.
> complexity (Classic Tier 3 is easy to configure and manage)
>
> what other things people keep in mind to decide go with Tier 3 vs Clos
> (VxLAN+EVPN)

I'd go with MPLS+EVPN -nowadays all data-centre gear supports MPLS in
addition to IP.
With regards to the 3-tier vs folded clos model (vs benes model) I guess one
could evaluate them from the modularity viewpoint for example -more
precisely how many classes of nodes you want to maintain,
3-tier =  3 types,
Clos = 2 types,
Benes =  1 type,
 - and how this affects your scaling.