[c-nsp] EVPN/VXLAN on ASR9001 - BGP announcements not working

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Apr 30 14:30:36 EDT 2020

hi,

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 07:13:32PM +0100, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> everything has its use. PWs have major problems loadbalancing over
> multiple links.  Also the complexity of mpls + associated control plane
> is a drawback in situations.  Sometimes vxlan provides the required
> functionality.  Why use a more complicated protocol when a simpler one
> is a 100% match for your requirements?

Which actually makes me wonder why I'm not ditching EVPN completely
and going back to VXLAN with configured VTEPs on the Aristas - the
system knows where it's peers are, and it MUCH MUCH simpler to figure
out all the moving pieces...

*sigh*

(The idea behind using EVPN was twofold - one: it would interop with
A9K.  Ditch that.  Two: if I add <node N> into the same VLAN/VXLAN
mesh, I only need configure *that* node, and it will BGP-signal to
all the other nodes "hey, I'm part of it!".  OTOH, most affected
VLANs will only ever see 2 or 3 clusters, and the provisioning knows
which devices are part of it...  meh)

((Now, if all these ugly hypervisors would actually speak EVPN/whatever,
in a reasonably interoperable way, I could just leave the mess to them,
and provide a default gateway in some place(s), not bothering with all
this layer2 thinking at all.  But that's not going to happen either))

Can I retire yet?

gert