[c-nsp] NCS540 - Interface up, not passing traffic

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Fri Dec 4 08:47:03 EST 2020

Hi again,
We have an NCS540 (IOS-XE 7.1.1) where an unexpected reboot occurred the other night, which also highlighted my inability to log in via direct console in an earlier thread. I have this router connected directly to an ASR920-24 via 10G port, both using the same optics, 10G-LR. Between the two, running IPv4 and IPv6, IS-IS and LDP. As mentioned, we had an unexpected reload due to power issues at the site on Wednesday and once the NCS rebooted, the link between the two routers came up, but is not passing traffic anymore. There are other interfaces on the NCS that are working just fine with the same original config and no config changes happened upon reload to affect things.

I am unable to ping between them on either side of the connection, no incoming packets, no ARP resolution. I’ve tried shut/no shut, reconfiguration and finally, removing the entire interface config and just setting them both up as routed interfaces to simplify everything, as they were previously set up as trunk interfaces. No ACLs are on either side, no immediately visible errors on either side and no other interfaces are experiencing this behavior.  Again, the physical link is up and DOM shows fine RX levels on either side. I’d like to avoid rebooting the entire router, but maybe that’s my only option. Are there any debugging options, logs or platform counters I can look at to see a bit deeper under the hood, so to speak, to try and narrow down why this link that is up is not able to pass traffic? Interface configs below, but are just dead simple (changing to mask to /30 doesn’t do anything, either):

NCS:
interface TenGigE0/0/0/23
ipv4 address x.x.x.64 255.255.255.254

ASR:
interface TenGigabitEthernet0/0/24
 ip address x.x.x.65 255.255.255.254
end

Bug Search tool doesn’t show anything that I can see that describes this behavior. Any suggestions besides re-seating the SFP, which I’ve already put in a request internally to have completed?

-evt