[c-nsp] RPKI extended-community RFC8097

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sat Dec 19 03:45:23 EST 2020

On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 at 22:07, Jakob Heitz (jheitz) via cisco-nsp
<cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net> wrote:

> Testing the RPKI validity in route-map causes BGP REFRESH messages.
> Lots of them.

I think the community largely got blindsided by this, I suspect
marketability of the whole solution would have been a lot poorer if
this argument was thrown around at standardisation. However, that ship
has sailed, we can implement new cheaper methods, but the damage is
done and it will be there long after we've retired.

I know I got blindsided, and it was so obvious, but not a problem I
was aware until a customer complained about excessive refresh. It
would be funny to analyse how much more wattage is drawn because of
this globally. how many early control-plane upgrades.  Is it
immaterial or material? I don't know. But it does seem to put some
customers control-planes over the edge.

--
  ++ytti