[c-nsp] Rant: ASR1000 MPLS (not) load-balancing

Robert Raszuk robert at raszuk.net
Thu Jan 2 10:08:11 EST 2020

All true.

But for me from the perspective of number of years passed by I think using
MPLS transport is just a one big mistake.

MPLS for service demux is great, but I really see no advantages in using
LDP or even concept of global labels for transport. IP transport be it IPv4
or IPv6 offers  much more advantages, native summarization UDP or flow
label adds a lot of entropy while MPLS service label can still sit happy
behind.

If you need TE - it seems pretty trivial to do that with either IPv6 or
IPv4 encapsulation too.

Originally when we started with tag switching and then mpls GSRs did not
support IP encap (except of CPU based Engine 0 LCs) and hence to offer any
SP services - to allow them to move from ATM and F/R to IP yet still
interconnect customers new transport was rolled out. RSVP-TE came along as
natural extension too, but as we all know it has its own set of problems.

Sev 1 bug free 2020,
R.