[c-nsp] Rant: ASR1000 MPLS (not) load-balancing

Robert Raszuk robert at raszuk.net
Thu Jan 2 10:41:56 EST 2020

First most of the ASICs or NPs you get do just fine LEM or LPM at their
line rate. And while processing wise they may be more cycles to do LPM your
invoice amount for box is still the same :) I guess one vendor tried to do
pure LEM box ... but you know the story there.

Then consider smart LPMs like Arista FlexRoute .. the advantages of LEM
here are getting very marginal for the significant cost of control plane
complexity.

Best,
R.