[c-nsp] Cisco NCS VxLAN Experience

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Jan 10 03:51:14 EST 2020

On 9/Jan/20 20:19, Gert Doering wrote:

> Cisco has a zillion products that mainly differenciate in "which of
> the advertised features are unusable or broken" and "what operating
> system do we use this week?".
>
> Ditching out half the products and using the engineering capacity
> freed by this might results in half the product families shipping
> actually useful products.

I couldn't agree more.

Some use-cases are unique, but by and large, the Internet is the
Internet, and creating distinct commercial lines so you can re-sell the
same products and services several times over is not going to work anymore.

The only area where costs aren't reducing is in vendor equipment and
services. The pressure on revenue from Internet services of any kind are
very high, and getting even higher. Customers have grown accustomed to
expecting all services for free, or close to free, and the companies
providing those service have taken the bait, putting a strain on each
other in the same industry and creating a race to the bottom.

Equipment vendors can't keep charging network operators like it was back
in the day. If they continue to do so, we will walk. Simple.

Mark.