[c-nsp] Cisco N540-ACC-SYS ipv4 routes

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sun Jul 12 05:55:28 EDT 2020

On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 at 12:45, Radu-Adrian FEURDEAN
<cisco-nsp at radu-adrian.feurdean.net> wrote:

> >  then also say Juniper MX, PTX are not hardware, Cisco 8k is
> > not hardware, Jericho2 isn't hardware, modern stuff tends to run off
> > of DRAM, not TCAM.
>
> Most of them can definitely do more than dumb  packet forwarding, but not so much as to do LNS or CGN in the main NPU (whatever variety the NPU is). A1k OTOH is THE platform to be used if you want to do LNS and CGN with Cisco.

I don't know where you base this claim, and I believe it's wrong. I
know Trio could do any of this, I think Cisc8k could, and I'm fairly
certain PTX1k could not. Both Trio and Ciscd8k are run-to-completion,
you run ucode on the NPU and you're only limited by time. Perhaps your
instruction set isn't conducive towards CGN or LNS, meaning you need
too many cycles to do the feature, but certainly it  could be done.

> As for TCAM vs *RAM, lack of TCAM signals a FIB scale significantly larger than a full table at the moment the box was designed.

> Back to the question, NCS540 is merchant ASIC, while A1K is custom network-oriented processor. I'd expect FIB scale to be a few (~4-5) times higher on A1K than on NCS540.

J2 is merchant and does DRAM, so that doesn't seem to be a signal either.

--
  ++ytti