[c-nsp] Cisco N540-ACC-SYS ipv4 routes

Tim Durack tdurack at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 09:31:04 EDT 2020

On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 5:00 AM Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 at 11:25, James Bensley
> <jwbensley+cisco-nsp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > You're right, and I should have been clearer that the ES20+ cards used
> > the NP3C NPU. But I wouldn't say that ES20 cards / PFC3 cards clearly
> > are not an NPU. I think they are actually in the interesting middle
> > ground between what I would call an ASIC powered device and an NPU
> > powered device.
>
> ES20 is Toaster/PXF, which can be said to be NPU. But if PFC3[ABC] is
> NPU, then I'd say there are no-non NPU forwarding chips.
>
> --
>   ++ytti

Not trying to be smart or pedantic: modern routers are built out of lots of
"ASICs". I imagine the forwarding element design is the differentiator:

1. Fixed pipeline: EARL family
2. Progammable pipeline: UADP family
3. Run-to-completion: "Silicon One" family

Not an exhaustive list, lots of other examples etc...

--
Tim:>