[c-nsp] Cisco N540-ACC-SYS ipv4 routes

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Thu Jul 16 09:51:13 EDT 2020

On 16/Jul/20 15:31, Tim Durack wrote:

> Not trying to be smart or pedantic: modern routers are built out of lots of
> "ASICs". I imagine the forwarding element design is the differentiator:
>
> 1. Fixed pipeline: EARL family
> 2. Progammable pipeline: UADP family
> 3. Run-to-completion: "Silicon One" family
>
> Not an exhaustive list, lots of other examples etc...

I'm thinking that this is where we can draw a convergence, and conclusion.

An NPU isn't really just a single chip, but a multitude of chips
(ASIC's, FPGA's, DDR, GDDR, HMC, HBM, TCAM, e.t.c.) all combining
together to form a homogenous unit that is fit for purpose.

The successful vendors will be those who can make the near-perfect
combination of each individual part, to form the ideal NPU.

Mark.