[c-nsp] Cisco N540-ACC-SYS ipv4 routes

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 14:48:21 EDT 2020

To be fair there are many many ASR9K systems out there today which have been in networks for many year.  There is a new generation of cards for those coming out which do not require a chassis swap people will be using for many years to come.   CRS-X I would agree doesn't have the longevity of some of the other platforms.  In the end Cisco builds hardware people ask for, and unfortunately has to retire hardware people no longer want to purchase.

The 8000 series is much less power and higher throughput than a current generation PTX.  An 8202 is around 750W.   As mentioned you can use breakouts but to breakout 4x100G from 400G is going to require changing optics on the other side, 2x100G does not.  The 8000 series and its silicon are going to be around for a long time.

Thanks,
Phil

On 7/16/20, 9:53 AM, "cisco-nsp on behalf of Mark Tinka" <cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net on behalf of mark.tinka at seacom.com> wrote:

    On 16/Jul/20 15:16, adamv0025 at netconsultings.com wrote:

    > You should be able to break out the 24x400G ports on 8201 to 96x100G ports (plus the 12x100G native),

    Probably - not sure.

    To be honest, not really interested in what Cisco do anymore. I'll keep
    them around because the CSR1000v is the one thing they didn't cock up;
    and even if they suddenly stop supporting it for whatever reason, it's
    reasonably modern enough that I could still run it for years for BGP-4
    route reflection, and not worry about them supporting it.

    > Comparing PTX1000 to 8201 is comparing apples and oranges. There's 7Tbps difference between these.
    > PTX1000 is not 100G optimized (only PTX10K series are).
    > I meant the upcoming PTX10k which should be directly comparable with 8201, we'll see.

    Yes, I knew you were talking about an upcoming new platform. Not really
    heavy into that - for us, the PTX1000 meets both of our 10Gbps and
    100Gbps core requirements at a fair price, for a very long time to come.
    I wish I could say the same about the
    very-underutilized-but-still-potent CRS-X's we have, but alas, Cisco
    again showing why I can't trust them for the long-haul.

    Mark.