[c-nsp] Netflow/Sflow for "irrelevant" traffic?

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Thu Jul 30 08:40:26 EDT 2020

I see that helps, thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gert Doering <gert at greenie.muc.de>
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2020 8:38 AM
To: Drew Weaver <drew.weaver at thenap.com>
Cc: 'Dobbins, Roland' <Roland.Dobbins at netscout.com>; 'cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net' <cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net>
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Netflow/Sflow for "irrelevant" traffic?

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 12:23:28PM +0000, Drew Weaver wrote:
> So just for a refresher if you are sampling lets say at 1:500 and lets say 1 byte goes through an interface that is not intended to produce an export?

It's statistics: 1:500 says "only look at one packet in 500" - so it will just not *see* this "1 byte" (with a very high propability).

> The exporting only happens if the amount of data is over a certain threshold? Does that threshold vary?

Not "data over threshold" but "did you see the packet or not"

gert
--
"If was one thing all people took for granted, was conviction that if you  feed honest figures into a computer, honest figures come out. Never doubted  it myself till I met a computer with a sense of humor."