[c-nsp] ASR9000 and ssh and "Crypto enginer decrypt failed"

hank at interall.co.il hank at interall.co.il
Wed Jun 3 05:50:44 EDT 2020

On Sunday May 31 at around 7:34-7:36 (GMT+3) both of our routers
started showing the following error msg:

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:May 31 07:36:56 : syslog_dev[94]: locald_DSC[328]
PID-217213: ce_pubkey_authenticate: Crypto enginer decrypt failed: No
child processesce_pubkey_authenticate: Crypto enginer decrypt failed:
No child processesce_pubkey_authenticate: Crypto enginer decrypt
failed: No child processesce_pubkey_authenticate: Crypto enginer
decrypt failed: No child processesce_pubkey_authenticate: Crypto
enginer decrypt failed: No child processesce_pubkey_authenticate:
Crypto enginer decrypt failed: No child proces
sesce_pubkey_authenticate: Cryp

At the same time ssh to and from these routers started to become wonky.

I am unable to find this error in Cisco IOS-XR documentation and the
fact that it appeared at the same time in both routers leads me to
suspect that perhaps they were probed by some crafted packet that
caused it so  I am wondering whether other IOS-XRs have seen a similar
error message.

Thanks,
Hank