[c-nsp] LDPv6 Census Check

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Jun 11 15:39:55 EDT 2020

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 at 21:04, David Sinn <dsinn at dsinn.com> wrote:

> You've made my point for me. If you are building the core of your network out of MX's, to turn a phrase, in a past life "I fully support my competitors to do so". Large numbers of small boxes, as they have already shown in the data-center, have major cost, control and operational advantages over a small number of large ones. They also expose the inherent problems of label-switching and where IP has it's merits.

Except this implementation does not exist, but we can argue that is
missing feature. We can argue we should be able to tell the lookup
engine this CIDR is on-chip and it's host routes only. This is
certainly doable, and would make IP tunnels like MPLS tunnels for
lookup cost, just larger lookup key, which is not significant cost.

But even if we had this (we don't, we have for MPLS) IP would be still
inferior, it is more tunneling overhead, i.e. I need more overspeed.
Technically MPLS is just better tunneling header. I can understand
sentimental arguments for IPv4 and market seems to appreciate those
arguments particularly well.

--
  ++ytti