[c-nsp] LDPv6 Census Check

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri Jun 12 15:47:46 EDT 2020

On Fri, 12 Jun 2020 at 21:41, Robert Raszuk <robert at raszuk.net> wrote:

> Well imagine you need only one level of tunneling but rich ECMP.
>
> Then with IP encap (even MPLS app demux carried in UDP) you just make sure src UDP port is random and voila works very nicely.
>
> In contrast to achieve the same with MPLS you need Entropy label (which is two - first the marker/indicator and then the actual value) + hardware capable of reading it.

Extending MPLS is byte expensive, we could certainly improve that on
new tunneling headers. But it's still cheaper than looking up UDP, and
potentially impossible (IPv6, EH). Of course if you are working with
existing pipeline which has support for IIP UDP parsing but not
entropy parsing then it's easy to say in that special case UDP is a
better solution. But all things equal, MPLS still wins, but we could
definitely improve upon it.

--
  ++ytti