[c-nsp] LDPv6 Census Check

David Sinn dsinn at dsinn.com
Fri Jun 12 16:25:12 EDT 2020

>> Unless you want ECMP then it VERY much matters. But I guess since we are only talking about theoretical instead of building an actual practical network, it doesn't matter.
>
> Well blatantly we are, because in the real world most of the value of
> MPLS tunnels is not available as IP tunnels. Again technically
> entirely possible to replace MPLS tunnels with IP tunnels, just
> question how much overhead you have in transporting the tunnel key and
> how wide they are.

You may be, I am not. I'm talking about practical networks and the use-case that multiple large networks are going down around commodity ASIC's. And it is a practial question about the total solution not point-specific ones. Overhead is only one part. Lookup delay is not at all for the class I'm referring to.

> Should we design a rational cost-efficient solution, we should choose
> the lowest overhead and narrowest working keys.

In the abstract, sure. But if you want a practical, deployable, production network, it's multi-dimensioned.

David