Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?

Benny Lyne Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Thu Jun 18 15:02:44 EDT 2020

Dave Bell <me at geordish.org> writes:

> I don't understand the point of SRv6. What equipment can support IPv6
> routing, but can't support MPLS label switching?

There is some equipment where the license to enable MPLS switching is
comparable in cost to the hardware itself. IPv6 routing is often in the
standard license.

This probably does not change anything for SRv6, as that too will likely
be an extra cost license. It makes non-MPLS tunnelling solutions very
attractive though, since you can get away with a very "cost-effective"
core and only require smarts in the edge.