[c-nsp] Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?

Robert Raszuk robert at raszuk.net
Fri Jun 19 06:29:32 EDT 2020

Saku,

What you are saying is technically true but not realistically important.

Why - the answer is history of PTX.

It was originally designed and architected on the very basis of hardware
cost and performance when you would only need to switch at rates MPLS.

Well real world showed that you can't sell such box and IP switching has
been added to data plane there.

Bottom line - I doubt you will find any vendor (from OEM to big ones) which
can afford to differentiate price wise boxes which would do line rate MPLS
and any thing less then line rate for IP. And as such IP clearly brings a
lot of value for simplification of control plane and route aggregation and
IMHO is a good (well best) universal transport today for all types of
services from WAN via Campus to DCs (or even MSDCs).

Cheers,
R.