[c-nsp] Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri Jun 19 07:11:01 EDT 2020

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 at 14:04, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:

> Even Cisco sort of went down this path with the CRS-3 when they - very
> briefly - sold the so-called CRS LSP (Label Switch Processor) forwarding
> engine:

ASR9k also has low and high scale cards, we buy the low scale, even
for edge. But even low scale is pretty high scale in this context.

I think there would be market for on-chip only LSR/core cards.
Ultimately if you design for that day1, it won't add lot of costs to
you. Yes the BOM difference may not be that great, because ultimately
silicon is cheap and costs are in NRE. But the on-chip only cards
would have bit more ports and they'd have better availability due to
less component failures.
I would fight very hard for us buy such cards in core, if vendor would
offer them.

Like the trio-in-pci full open, I think this is just marketing
failure. Vendors are wearing their DC glasses and don't see anything
else. While the big-name DC are lost cause, AMZN employs more chip
designers than JNPR, matter of time before JNPR loses amzn edge too to
internal amzn product.

Someone with bit bolder vision on what the market could be, may have
real opportunity here.
--
  ++ytti