[c-nsp] Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?

Reuben Farrelly reuben-cisco-nsp at reub.net
Sun Jun 21 07:01:18 EDT 2020

On 21/06/2020 7:30 am, Mark Tinka wrote:
>> Personally I would only recommend Meraki for a small business with
>> very basic and well defined requirements.  Even then once you factor
>> in the cost of licensing + hardware and compare it to a low end Cisco
>> Enterprise product that does not have said limitations, you may find
>> the cost is about the same over 3 or more years.
>
> Sounds like pfSense might be a better option :-).
>
> If I can summarize it in one sentence, is Meraki meant to be Cisco's
> SD-WAN job?
>
> Mark.

No.  Meraki is their "Small Enterprise" product line.  The SDWAN
capability is there in Meraki MX - yes - but it is very basic.

The full SDWAN solution is what was Viptela, which is now being baked
into mainstream IOS XE.  It's very good, but very complex, very capable,
runs on existing IOS-XE devices, requires multiple VMs and a lot of
infrastructure to use, and of course very expensive.

Unfortunately there's no middle ground Cisco SDWAN solution; you're
either going big (Viptela) or small (Meraki) and with matching pocket
depths.

Reuben