[c-nsp] EVPN/VXLAN on ASR9001 - BGP announcements not working

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Mon May 4 04:05:46 EDT 2020

Yes back in the days, but one can use flow labels now,

> Also the complexity of mpls + associated control plane is a drawback in
> situations.

Well if you compare EVPN VXLAN -there's not that much of a difference compared to EVPN MPLS, oh and with VPN labels you get micro-segmentation for free and not as an afterthought.

> Sometimes vxlan provides the required functionality.  Why use a
> more complicated protocol when a simpler one is a 100% match for your
> requirements?

Futureproofing.
DC-folks# This STP sucks, let's MC-LAG/VSS everything, ok that sucks let's do TRILL et, al., that sucked let's do VXLAN, wait, how do we do CP-based mac learning? Let's do EVPN VXLAN, Oh has anyone reserved VXLAN header field that can be used for micro-segmentation? Tumbleweed ...
SP-folks# no way we'll have STP to core, let's sue VPLS, that sucked let's use EVPN/PBB-EVPN......

adam