[c-nsp] RPKI validation weirdness

Robert Raszuk robert at raszuk.net
Fri May 8 05:42:51 EDT 2020

Yes your story how you found it is exactly as mine - with just one
exception that I was looking at my upstream ISPs across two ASBRs and
debugging what is going on :) But the core of the issue was precisely
identical !

Well I am still running it .. just enabled ext comms.

Frankly this was ugly as quite unexpected - but relatively easy to see what
is going on. In this space I am much more worried about RPKI db accuracy
then any of the implementation issues. I found number of cases so far where
what is in RPKI is just plain wrong - read INVALID :). And that is supposed
to be the source of truth ...

Now I am considering actually automation of detection of RPKI bad info and
some sort of publishing it.

See when you sign a block then sell this block without removing your RPKI
signature, then the block gets cutted into chunks and sold further - and no
one in this process of transaction chain cares about RPKI - this entire
story of using this for validation becomes pretty weak. And this is no
longer NOT-FOUND. You get false INVALIDs which some may apply to suppress
or drop.

Best,
R.