[c-nsp] RSVP-TE (MPLS-TE) and LDP question

Aaron Gould aaron1 at gvtc.com
Mon May 11 14:02:23 EDT 2020

Seems that when I try to use RSVP in place of LDP for label distribution, I
cannot completely remove mpls ldp configs from IOS XR, but I can from IOS XE

On an RSVP-TE Tunnel headend, I have .

IOS XR (XRv9000)

mpls ldp

router-id 10.0.0.11

.and if I remove that with "no mpls ldp" I loose connectivity to the MPLS
L3VPN that is also on that PE

But.in IOS XE (csr1000v) I have.

mpls ldp router-id lo0 force

.and if I remove that with "no mpls ldp router-id Loopback0" (and also
remove "mpls ip" from the pe---p uplink) I am still good to the MPLS L3VPN
that is also on that PE

I don't understand what is going on with this minimal ldp config in IOS XR
that causes L3VPN to no longer work after I remove that small config shown
above.

As a side note, I can remove that ldp config from XR p core nodes.. Just not
XR pe nodes

.furthermore, I think since I have that ldp config in my PE's, I have LFIB
"Unlabelled" entries in my PE, I guess since I have no LDP config in the
transit P nodes.  But in XE since I can remove that ldp config I no longer
have Unlabelled lfib entries and a nice clean lfib with only the L3vpn
aggregate label

-Aaron