[c-nsp] IOS-XR IS-IS authentication

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Wed May 27 15:08:31 EDT 2020

After messing a lot more with this, I decided to remove my IS-IS config completely on both routers and start over. I found that when using a key chain in IOS-XR, it seems to have trouble attaching the key to CSNP packets:

SEND L2 PSNP on TenGigabitEthernet0/0/0/19: Add of Key Chain authentication failed

While I was able to get the adjacency established and accept LSPs, their acceptance by the neighbor is failing. I couldn't find anything in my debug file on Junos to indicate there was any authentication error or any 'adding new LSP to database', but it's possible I don't have the right traceoptions flag enabled:

May 27 18:39:30.242356 Received L2 PSN, source 1071.3820.2192, interface xe-0/0/0.0
May 27 18:39:31.259319 Received L2 PSN, source 1071.3820.2192, interface xe-0/0/0.0

I'm not sure if this is due to a misconfiguration on my end (entirely possible), as I wasn't even consciously aware of separate authentication of IIH, CSNP and PSNP until I re-read Junos docs. I can't find if separate settings are even possible on IOS-XR, though I know it's available in Junos to disable one or all three.

Unless I get suggestions otherwise, I suppose I'll just not use keys, which seems prohibitive, particularly if a password needs changing at some point. The 'lsp-password' without a key chain seems to work just fine. :-/

-evt