[c-nsp] ASR920 Interface won't come up

James Bensley jwbensley+cisco-nsp at gmail.com
Sun May 31 05:34:18 EDT 2020

On Tue, 19 May 2020 at 00:22, Shawn L <shawn at rmrf.us> wrote:

> Had another weird interface issue on a pair of Cisco ASR920 routers.
> Wondering if anyone has seen something similar before.
>
> Both are setup with basic routing, no layer-2 functionality over the link,
> and pretty basic.
>
> interface TenGigabitEthernet0/0/4
>  description Feed
>  mtu 9189
>  ip address 10.10.0.37 255.255.255.252
>  no negotiation auto
>  mpls ip
>
> On the Remote Side
>  description Remote
>  mtu 9189
>  ip address 10.10.0.38 255.255.255.252
>  no negotiation auto
>  mpls ip
>
> Power went out at the remote site, and the link did not come back up.  The
> feed side was reporting the interface was down/down.  When we went to the
> remote site, it was reporting up/up but could not pass traffic.  A shut/no
> shut of the port on either side didn't seem to have any effect.  Both came
> right back to the same state they were before (remote reporting up, feed
> reporting down).
>
> SFP removal and reinsertion didn't help either.  We then re-provisioned the
> port on the remote side (default interface, copy and paste) and the link
> came back up and seems to be operating normally.
>
> Logs don't show anything interesting either.  Not sure where to go from
> here.

Hi Shawn,

Did you ever get this resolved? Did you speak to TAC?

There have been a few posts on this list about weird interface
behavior for ASR920s, which seems to relate to the hidden TCL scripts
run in the background when interfaces go up/down, change speed, SFPs
are changed etc.

I'm curious to know if you spoke to TAC and if they related it to the
same source of problems.

Cheers,
James.