[c-nsp] Cisco life cycle strategy

James Bensley jwbensley+cisco-nsp at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 05:50:40 EST 2020

On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 at 20:23, harbor235 <harbor235 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What is your replacement strategy for Cisco gear reaching EOL milestones?
>
> I prefer not to replace at the end of SW maintenance releases but prefer
> the end of vulnerability/Security support. My assumption is by then all the
> major bugs and fixes should be remedied/ fixed by then and the software
> should be stable.
>
> Last days for hardware replacement continue through the end of the service
> contract. I would like to get as much investment protection as possible,
> not to mention the potential of disruption of infrastructure services
>

> thoughts? strategies?

Hi Mike,

What you have said sounds reasonable.

I can refute on two accounts off the top of my head (it's always good
to play devil's advocate with yourself):

1. Do you have any accreditations, regulations, or compliance based
requirements that are linked to EoL dates?
2. What have you sold to your customers? I have worked on networks
which have stated in the signed contracts with the customers that a
certain level of vendor support will be maintianed.

Cheers,
James.