[c-nsp] RR scalability question

Marcin Kurek md.kurek at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 10:55:26 EST 2020

Hello,

I was wondering what are the techniques to estimate the upper limit of
the number of route reflector clients?  Currently we run CSR1000vs,
which now have over 50 clients. BGP scale is as below:

2841509 network entries using 727426304 bytes of memory
2841513 path entries using 340981560 bytes of memory

They are rock solid so far, but this is in a steady state. I'm thinking
about a scenario where multiple BGP sessions fail at once, meaning the
RRs would have much more work to do.

Probably one thing that affects RR performance is the number of update
groups (2 at the moment, will be 3 soon). But still, it doesn't help to
come up with a hard number of clients.

Thank you!

Marcin