[c-nsp] RR scalability question

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Sat Nov 28 01:37:57 EST 2020

On 11/25/20 20:57, adamv0025 at netconsultings.com wrote:

>> Best thing you can do is not estimate, but actually test.

Agree.

I recall doing this back in 2014 when we first launched the CSR1000v as
an RR.

It had about 20 clients, each needing a full feed.

We reset all sessions on the RR. Between the RR's, we are talking
seconds to exchange the full feed. Toward the other clients, the rate of
push was at what they could accommodate. Either way, CSR1000v didn't flinch.

In real life, we've had RR's that have lost sessions to hundreds of
routers due IS-IS issues in recent years. Again, no hit on CSR1000v.
That thing just keeps chugging along.

I know, more anecdotal than empirical, but my feeling is it will take A
LOT to break a well-designed CSR1000v running on a decent server.

Mark.