[c-nsp] 1600R series router internals

Tom Storey tom at snnap.net
Sat Apr 24 16:09:47 EDT 2021

Quick update for anyone that is playing along, but I had a bit of a light
bulb moment and have managed to solve the issue.

It turns out that my mod to take control of pin 31 of the boot ROM sockets
to allow me to use smaller ROM sizes (which involved installing a jumper to
allow me to pull this signal high because it is the WE/ pin of smaller ROMs
as opposed to an address pin on the larger factory ROMs) was also resulting
in an address line (A19) being pulled high on the two CPLDs. It is only by
sheer coincidence that this didnt cause any issues with the registers I was
able to access (e.g. to control LEDs), because those registers were all at
addresses where that address line would have been high anyway!

So I made another very fiddly mod to the board to re-route the two CPLD
pins to the original address signal and hey presto, WIC address space and
registers for the PCMCIA controller are now accessible. :-)

Unfortunately due to the way this particular trace is routed on the board,
it is not possible to break it anywhere else to make easier or fewer mods,
so the difficulty factor in re-using these routers has increased, or a more
creative solution is required.

Anyway, time to spin some WIC blanks with prototyping area I think. :-)