[c-nsp] ASR920 Port Licensing

joe mcguckin joe at via.net
Wed Feb 24 13:48:35 EST 2021

I refuse to buy in to ’Smart Licensing’ and ‘Port Licensing’. So far, we have been able to avoid buying
from vendors who practice such anti-customer policies.

I refuse to buy products with licensing schemes that require the equipment to ‘phone home’ or where a vendor
through an error could remotely disable feature sets or the unit itself. (License keys, as implemented prior to IOS V15 are tolerable)
I’m willing to purchase equipment from a vendor that is not as spiffy as J or C as long as it has an acceptable licensing policy and functionally works.
That means we don’t get the nifty command language of Juniper with commit/rollback…

I also refuse to purchase equipment that requires an ‘app’ or GUI program to configure. I demand a 9 pin serial connector (or a Cisco pinout RJ45) and a
CLI.

I think customers ought to stick to their guns and refuse to buy equipment from vendors that try to push this crap.

Joe

Joe McGuckin
ViaNet Communications

joe at via.net