[c-nsp] ASR9K to ASR920 MPLS issue

James Bensley jwbensley+cisco-nsp at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 05:30:23 EST 2021

Hi Jerry,

I would update the config as follows (if you're just doing a basic P2P
pseudowire, go for the KISS approach):

> ASR9K:
interface TenGigE0/0/1/0.95 l2transport
 encapsulation dot1q 95
 rewrite ingress tag pop 1 symmetric
 mtu 9118        ! Needs to be +14 for Ethernet +4 for VLAN tag on IOS-XR
> l2vpn
>   xconnect group mpls1
>    p2p test1
>     interface TenGigE0/0/1/0.95
>     neighbor ipv4 10.100.66.1 pw-id 95

> ASR920:
> interface TenGigabitEthernet0/0/25
>   mtu 9100          !     Excludes Ethernet and VLAN tag on IOS-XE
>   no ip address
>   cdp enable
>   service instance 95 ethernet
>    encapsulation dot1q 95
      rewrite ingress tag pop 1 symmetric
      xconnect 10.100.25.11 95 encapsulation mpls

Then remove this unless you want to set up a VPLS/P2MP/MP2MP L2 VPN:

> l2vpn xconnect context test1
>   member TenGigabitEthernet0/0/25 service-instance 95
>   member 10.100.25.11 95 encapsulation mpls

If that doesn't work provide us with full the output of "show l2vpn
xconnect pw-id 95 detail" from the ASR9K/IOS-XR and equivalent from
the ASR920/XE.

On Tue, 5 Jan 2021 at 19:34, Jerry Bacon <jerryb at startouch.com> wrote:

> The VC is UP/UP/UP on both sides, and the MTU does match (it doesn't
> come up if they don't). The only odd thing that I see, is on the ASR920
> the interworking type is "Ethernet" and on the ASR9K it's "none" (and it
> doesn't support Ethernet). On the ASR920:

On XR "interworking none" is what you should be seeing, and "Ethernet" on XE.

As per the output of "show l2vpn xconnect pw-id 95 detail" on the XR
box, you should see that the "PW Type" is Ethernet for both Local and
Remote... Example below:

MPLS         Local                          Remote