[c-nsp] Cisco Cat4500 Quad Sup VSS ISSU IOS Upgrade

Eli Kagan e.kagan at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 12 22:16:13 EST 2021

Thanks Garrett!

Unfortunately I cannot afford a 30 minutes outage.

What doesn't make sense to me is the "issu loadversion" step. If I understand correctly, it would load the current hot standby with the new version. But wouldn't a cold standby take over if I reloaded the hot standby CPU, effectively bringing me back to the same state?

Is there a reason why I shouldn't do the upgrade the old fashion way? That is, change the boot variable, reload hot standby manually, failover and then reload the other three supervisor engines.
I mean, is there a benefit to using "issu loadverion/runversion/acceptversion/commitversion" process vs just loading the software and reloading manually?

Thanks,
Eli