[c-nsp] 1600R series router internals

Tom Storey tom at snnap.net
Thu Mar 25 13:23:31 EDT 2021

Hi all, this is probably a long shot from far out of left field, but I
wonder if anyone is familiar with the deep inner workings of the 1600R
series routers?

Long story short, I got a bit bored recently with all of the coronavirus
related restrictions, and started to reverse engineer some older model
Cisco routers (2500 and 1600R) that are based on Motorola 68000 family
CPUs, with a "no particular reason" goal of making FreeRTOS run on them
(achievement unlocked.)

But the 1600R is throwing me a curve ball, and Im having difficulty
seemingly "unlocking" access to the memory ranges that cover the WIC slot
and the PCMCIA controller registers.

Ive used Ghidra to disassemble and rummage through the factory boot ROM
code to figure out basically "what Cisco did", and re-implemented it
myself, but I still seem to be missing something. Basically, I wondered if
someone here might be familiar enough with these old boxes at a low enough
level and might know if there is something in particular that needs to be
poked to make this work?

Thanks in advance!

Tom