[c-nsp] 1600R series router internals

Tom Storey tom at snnap.net
Fri Mar 26 11:52:31 EDT 2021

Hi Alexander,

Yep, had come across uClinux, but Im going to a lower level than they did I
think. And by the time I looked at their documentation I had pretty much
already worked out everything they had.

Im much more of a "bare metal" kind of person I guess (I do a lot of
hobby work with microcontrollers). So for my projects I took out the
factory boot ROMs and flash and started from the ground up - locate and
document internal registers, address map, etc - basically working out how
to bend them to my will.

Theres a pretty big "retro scene" these days around old computer hardware
and processors, and I figure with 680x0 processors on-board and a bunch of
other components (like ethernet controllers!), these old routers could
maybe see some new life. :-)

Ive put everything I know up on github with some example code:

https://github.com/tomstorey/c2500re
https://github.com/tomstorey/c1600re

As projects they are still somewhat "works in progress", but the code
examples do compile and boot with appropriate mods.