[c-nsp] FIB scale on ASR9001

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Nov 9 12:04:52 EST 2021

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 09, 2021 at 04:49:54PM +0000, Drew Weaver wrote:
> We have a couple of these in production also are you planning on going with the 9902 or 9903 or are you switching altogether?
>
> I would love it if they could just make an ASR that has 4xQSFP28 ports and a slot to add 4-6 more.
>
> Would be perfect for us assuming that it wasn't $80,000

Looking at the prices for 9901/02/03/04, and the licensing models for
NCS5700, I can assure you, "it won't be $80,000".

More like "$100k for the Chassis, and then another $300k for all required
licenses, to be renewed every 3 years" (subject to bazaar style discount
negotiations that make any sort of budget planning impossible)...

Cisco is a textbook example how to drive away a truly loyal user base,
and then blaim it on stock market analysts ("they said that any company
without a recurring revenue software model will be dead soon").

gert